6/9/2015 11:00 AM

New Indiana Laws for Mopeds and Scooters

With the nice warm weather becoming regular here in Indiana, we see a lot more motorcycles, mopeds and scooters come out on the roads.  Here at Killingbeck Insurance, we get a lot more quotes and policies starting for these vehicles.

That’s why I wanted to let you know of an important change in Indiana law for motorcycles, mopeds, scooters.

The laws are broken down into two categories, Class A and Class B.

Class A

 In order to drive a class A vehicle, you must have a driver’s license with a motorcycle endorsement and insurance.  Class A includes the following:

  • Motorcycles
  • Scooters (also called motor driven cycles) with a cylinder capacity of 50 cubic centimeters and a motor that produces five brake horsepower or less.

Brake horsepower is “the actual or useful horsepower of an engine, usually determined from the force exerted on a friction brake or dynamometer connected to the driveshaft” (thefreedictionary.com).   

If your vehicle fits in class A and you currently don’t have motorcycle insurance, give us a call right away!  The best way to cover yourself and your vehicle is to carry a policy specific to motorcycles/scooters. 

Class B

 A class B vehicle is a motor driven cycle, or scooter, that has a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters.  

In order to drive a class B vehicle, you are required to register the vehicle with the BMV.  Insurance is not required by the state, but you should still have motorcycle, moped or scooter insurance.  Without it, you would not be protected in case of an accident.  A motorcycle policy would cover you and the vehicle, with the options listed above.

Operating Restrictions for Class B motor driven cycle:

  • Must be 15 or older
  • Must have driver’s license, learner’s permit, or Indiana ID with a moped endorsement
  • If under 18, a helmet is required
  • Must illuminate headlamps when operating
  • Cannot carry a package in your hands when operating
  • Must operate on right-hand side of road unless passing or preparing for left turn
  • Must not go over 35 miles per hour
  • No passengers allowed
  • No operating on interstate highways or sidewalks

To check the complete changes in laws, visit the BMV website.

What Does a Motorcycle / Moped / Scooter Policy Cover?

A motorcycle insurance policy can be used to cover a motorcycle, dirt bike, moped, scooter, ATVs, etc. A good policy will provide you with bodily injury and property damage liability, medical, and uninsured/underinsured motorist, just like your auto policy.  In fact, I suggest carrying similar limits on your motorcycle policy as your auto policy.

You can also often add passenger protection, accessory coverage, transport trailer coverage, roadside assistance, comprehensive, collision, and rental vehicle coverage.  Some companies even offer trip interruption, total loss coverage, and on-road coverage for off-road vehicles.  Don’t forget to ask about these extra coverages when you’re getting a motorcycle quote.

Why You Should Get Motorcycle / Scooter / Moped Insurance

Motorcycle, scooter, or moped insurance is protection for you.  Motorcycles and all like vehicles are difficult to see, especially at night. You are also a lot more exposed on the road, and a lot smaller than other vehicles.  This means you need protection for yourself. 

While you may wear high tech gear, and try your best to be safe, you never know when you will be in an accident.  Motorcycle accidents tend to be terrible and cause high damage for those on the bike.  You need coverage to protect yourself in case you are hit by an uninsured or under-insured driver and have high medical bills.

Be smart and protect yourself before you take to the roads in Indiana with your moped, scooter, or motorcycle.

Comments are closed for this post, but if you have spotted an error or have additional info that you think should be in this post, feel free to contact us.