Kokomo, Indiana Motorcycle Insurance
If you're a motorcycle rider, having insurance isn't a choice - you must be covered in order to ride your bike legally in Kokomo, Indiana. Of course, this doesn't mean you have to purchase the most comprehensive or expensive coverage available. The minimum requirement for motorcycle insurance in Indiana is basic liability, which covers any damage or injury you may cause to property or other people in the event you are deemed to be at-fault in an accident or collision. However, basic liability does not cover you or your motorcycle. Certain policies may include coverage for a passenger as well, but this is not guaranteed. You can purchase higher coverage limits if you need it, but it is not required by law. Two important points to consider about basic liability motorcycle insurance:
- In certain states, bodily injury to a passenger is covered separately under Passenger Liability Coverage.
- In other states, you can pay an additional premium so that Bodily Injury Liability Coverage applies to passengers.
Is My Motorcycle Covered Under My Auto Insurance?
Don't make the mistake of assuming that your car insurance will cover your motorcycle or provide coverage if you injure somebody or damage property. It is crucial to understand that auto insurance and motorcycle insurance are two separate things, and that car insurance will absolutely not extend to your motorcycle in any situation. Some insurance companies may offer so-called 'motorcycle endorsements' that can be added to your automobile insurance, but this type of coverage is typically not as comprehensive as a stand-alone policy, and they often come with a number of exclusions in the fine print. If you own a motorcycle in Kokomo, Indiana, Killingbeck Insurance & Tax Preparation strongly recommends that you obtain a stand-alone motorcycle policy.
What Does Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
Motorcycle Insurance involves a number of various coverage options including (but not limited to):
- Bodily Injury / Property Damage Liability Coverage: This coverage applies to you if you are in an accident that involves injury to another person or damage to someone's property, up to the limit of liability you select.
- Comprehensive / Collision Coverage: This type of coverage protects your motorcycle if it is damaged. The physical damage coverage will pay, minus your deductible, to repair your motorcycle.
- Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM/UIM): Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage can pay for injuries to you and your passengers when there is an accident and the other driver is both legally responsible for the accident and considered uninsured or underinsured. Indiana law considers a driver uninsured if they do not have any insurance, have insurance that does not meet state-mandated minimum liability requirements, or whose insurance company denied their claim or was not financially able to pay. UM/UIM is probably the single most important component of a motorcycle insurance policy. If you are in an accident and the driver who hits you doesn't have the money to pay for the damages they caused you, your own motorcycle insurance policy will cover you - if you have this type of coverage. This is what UM/UIM coverage can do for you:
- Medical Payments: Covers the cost of any medical treatment you require after an accident, regardless of who was at fault. Medical payments are typically limited to 36 months after the accident occurred.
- Custom Parts and Equipment: Provides coverage for accessories and extras added to the motorcycle not included by the manufacturer that exceed $1,000. Custom parts and equipment include sidecars, trailers, custom paint jobs, safety riding gear and trike conversion kits.
- Roadside Assistance: Provides basic help for things that go wrong on the road. Roadside assistance typically includes emergency roadside help, towing, jump starts, assistance changing flat tires, and help with lockouts. this type of insurance may also be used if your motorcycle runs out of gas and you need fuel brought to you.
Does Motorcycle Insurance Cover Scooters and Mopeds?
Electric and gasoline-powered scooters and mopeds can all be insured under Kokomo, Indiana motorcycle insurance policy. All the same options and discounts that are available for big bikes apply to mopeds and scooters as well.
How can I get a Discount on my Motorcycle Insurance in Kokomo, Indiana?
Depending on your policy, a variety of motorcycle insurance discounts are available including:
- Claims-free Discount: You may be eligible for savings of up to 20% if you were not involved in an accident or did not report a claim during your previous policy record.
- Homeowner Discount: If you own a home, you may qualify for a substantial discount because homeowners are generally viewed as being responsible and trustworthy. At Killingbeck Insurance, we believe responsible people are responsible drivers, and that should be rewarded.
- Multi-Policy Discount: If you have more than one policy with Killingbeck Insurance & Tax Preparation, you may qualify for additional discounts.
- Safe Driver Discount: Being a safe and conscientious driver is a great way to give your wallet a much-needed break. In fact, it's one of the best ways to save money on your motorcycle insurance premiums.
- LoJack Discount: If your bike is equipped with a LoJack tracking system, you may qualify for this discount.
- Safety Course Discount: Completing periodic safety courses can save your life and offer you a significant discount on your Kokomo, Indiana motorcycle insurance policy.
What Other Things Should I Consider Before Purchasing Motorcycle Insurance?
When you're comparing motorcycle insurance quotes in Kokomo, Indiana, look at your list of potential candidates along with the coverage offered. Your best bet will be a policy in your price range with a respectable amount of coverage. Always be sure to consider your own personal requirements - if a policy contains more coverage than you need or can use, it may not be the right deal for you.
Additionally, you want to keep in mind that cheaper isn't always better when it comes to motorcycle insurance. You want a policy that protects you when you need it. Cheap motorcycle insurance usually only provides you with low liability limits and is usually missing the most important part of the coverage.
If you own a motorcycle in Kokomo, Indiana, it's important to have the right insurance to protect yourself. So before you get ready to go out and chase the wind, give Killingbeck Insurance & Tax Preparation a ring at (765) 452-8000. Our motorcycle insurance professionals can provide you with quotes, policy advise, and answers to all your questions.