As tax law is very complicated, this article is intended only for educational or illustrative purposes and should not be construed to communicate legal or professional advise.  You should contact us with any specific questions so we can properly interpret how the tax laws applies to your situation.   Killingbeck Tax Preparation, Kokomo, Indiana.  765-452-8000.

You Need to File an Income Tax Return:

    A.  When You Have enough income taxes withheld from W-2s 
          or 1099s 
to be worth getting a refund back on.             

    B.  When You Have Refundable Income Tax credits:  (Refundable 
          means you get back even if you didn't have withholding.)

  • Earned Income credit
  • Additional Child Tax credit
  • American Opportunity Education credit
  • Health Coverage Tax Credit
  • Premium Tax Credit (ObamaCare)
  • Credit for Federal tax on fuels

    C.  When You Have Special Taxes to pay. 

  • Uncollected SS or Medicare tax on W-2 (M, N codes)           
  • Recapture on First Time Homebuyer credit
  • Early withdrawal penalty from pension or IRA
  • Net self-employment exceeds +$433  
  • Social Security on Allocated tips or Social Security on tips
  • You are subject to alternate minimum tax.
  • You have household employees.
  • If you received subsidy from ObamaCare.

    D.  When You are Required to file Income Tax for dependents
          (unearned income greater than $1050) and deceased

    E.  When Your Gross Income exceeds the following amounts.   
Gross income includes wages, dividends, interest, gross rental 
          income,  gross capital gains, & other taxable income.  Gross 
          Income doesn't  include nontaxable social security and other 
          nontaxable income.    

If Filing Status is 

& at year end
you are 

Must file if Gross Income
Greater Than
Single & you are
a Dependent
Under 65 with
unearned income
greater of $1050 or $350
+ earned income
 under 65  $   6,300
Single  under 65  $ 10,350
 65 & older  $ 11,890
Married Filing
 If spouse itemizes  $   4,050
 under 65  $ 10,350
 65 & older  $ 11,600
Head of
 under 65  $ 13,350
 65 & older  $ 14,900

Widow (er)

 under 65  $ 16,650
 65 & older  $ 17,900
 Married  under 65  $ 20,700 
 one 65 and older  $ 21,950
 both over 65  $ 23,200


Give us a call if you have questions or we can be of help, 765-452-8000.  Killingbeck Insurance & Tax Preparation, Kokomo, Indiana.