As tax law is very complicated, this article is intended only for educational or illustrative purposes and should not be construed to communicate legal or professional advise.  You should contact us with any specific questions so we can properly interpret how the tax laws applies to your situation.   Killingbeck Tax Preparation, Kokomo, Indiana.  765-452-8000.

What to Do If You Haven't Received Your W-2 or 1099.

If you don't have a W-2 or 1099 by Feb. 1, you should contact your employer or firm sending the W-2 or 1099.  After a week if you still haven't received, you should try again. 

IRS will accept complaints after Feb. 15. They would like employers name, address & I.D. #  All the IRS does is send the employer a note. It is best for employee to get the W-2  themselves as the IRS is very slow.

When Can I Use a Substitute W-2?

After Feb. 15th the IRS will accept a substitute W-2 (form 4852) based on a last paystub. This method should be used only as a last resort as it  can lead to inaccurate return as the pay stub may not show the correct income and withholdings.  If using, you should call IRS saying they did not get a W-2 and give IRS employer name, address, ID.

The State of Indiana says the use of a substitute W-2 will delay the processing of the tax return and or refund.


What Do I Do About an Incorrect W-2 or 1099?

Do not make any changes to W-2's.  A corrected W-2 must be issued by employer as IRS won't accept changes unless employer corrects W-2.

If W-2 has wrong social security number, it is very important that you contact employer to reissue a W-2 so taxpayer will get credit with Social Security Administration.

Give us a call if you have questions or we can be of help, 765-452-8000.  Killingbeck Insurance & Tax Preparation, Kokomo, Indiana.